We strive to play a pioneering role in research and development in the field of building physics and its related fields and to consistently maintain this leading position on both a national and international level.
Our main areas of research are determined by the guiding principles of improving people's living and working environments and optimizing the processes of construction planning and implementation, building performance, building renovation work and decommissioning – all in accordance with the overarching principle of sustainability.
Our corporate culture encourages people to take responsibility for the work they do within the framework of an institute-wide approach that is based on shared objectives.
We draw on findings and insights from basic research to develop methods, techniques, processes, services and products which make us stand out from the crowd with unique selling points and innovative, patented solutions. This enables us to sharpen our customers' and partners' competitive edge and to meet the scientific and economic criteria that ensure us a top ranking in the fields of research and technology.
Our working groups and departments focus on our core expertise. When it comes to collaboration and cooperation between multiple departments and institutes, we strive to be a flexible and professional partner. We initiate and support projects in national and international networks and facilitate innovations across the full spectrum of our fields of research. We use our research and technological skills to generate innovations and set new trends.
We allow plenty of scope for creative, inspirational and innovative work by meticulously developing and tailoring our organization and keeping it closely aligned to the values we define in our leadership principles.
Our leadership principles
In line with its executive competence and overall responsibility for the institute specified in the articles of association, the institute management team has formulated the following principles of coexistence and interaction within Fraunhofer IBP to ensure the institute's sustainability and long-term success. (Unless otherwise specified, these points refer in equal measure to all members of staff*, group leaders, heads of department and managers.)
These principles form the basis for understanding people's roles and leadership tasks within the institute. They are designed to help people identify with Fraunhofer IBP and its goals while creating the basis for a cohesive corporate culture that succeeds in keeping people motivated and attracting new generations of scientists and researchers from other institutions and countries.
1. Our actions are guided by our shared responsibility for the institute
- We are conscious of the responsibility we have for the institute and its employees, and our actions are guided by the strategies and goals outlined in this statement.
- In our role as managers of Fraunhofer IBP, we use our positions and connections within the scientific community to secure the institute's success in the long term. We maintain regular contact with all the relevant scientific organizations and research bodies and aim to fulfill our role as a professional and competent business partner.
- We feel we have a duty to develop the institute's common overarching strategy. We also provide our employees with guidance and offer them the opportunity to develop and enhance their careers and personal lives.
2. We take leadership seriously
- A ‘people focus’ is very important to us.
- We strive to ensure that our employees take responsibility for their work and actively fulfill the roles they play in projects. To make that happen, we delegate the responsibilities and decision-making powers they need and provide them with objectives and tasks that are clear and unequivocal.
- With the future in mind, we ensure that we always have people who are ready to take on key functions and tasks within our business.
- We actively promote a healthy work/life balance.
3. We understand the importance of good information and communication
- We acquire all the necessary information and regularly supply relevant, up-to-date information to everyone who needs it. We openly communicate knowledge and encourage its dissemination. We also expect our employees to do the same.
- We hold regular meetings with our employees.
- We communicate clearly and unequivocally and make binding commitments. This also includes being accessible at all times and responding appropriately.
- Whenever we come up against problems or difficulties in our daily work or project environments, we do our best to discuss these directly with the people concerned and to work together with them to find appropriate solutions.
4. We challenge and support our employees
- We expect our employees to demonstrate commitment, flexibility, autonomy and a clear focus as they strive to meet their agreed targets.
- We recognize when employees are showing motivation and dedication within the context of our overall strategy and acknowledge their efforts.
- We always face up to errors, poor performance or inadequate capabilities on the part of employees and deal with these situations in the spirit of good leadership.
- We carry out annual staff dialog sessions and nurture people's (management) potential. In the spirit of life-long learning, we also promote employees' efforts to improve their qualifications (professional and technical expertise, soft skills, theses, etc.) and support them in achieving their goals.
5. We lay the foundations for effective cooperation
- We focus on the essentials and pinpoint what matters.
- We make proactive decisions, implement them and stick to them.
- We foster a feedback culture in which we and our employees give and receive feedback on a regular basis.
- We allow time for discussions in the departments, listen to each other, treat each other with respect and engage with our colleagues' views and opinions.
- We foster a constructive culture of debate.
- We consider good teamwork to be important and encourage people to work together in a positive frame of mind. We see ourselves as a mutually supportive community.
- We ensure that the rules of conduct and good practice are observed throughout the institute and do not hesitate to apply appropriate sanctions if necessary.
- We provide mutual support to ensure that we adhere to our leadership principles.